Monday, May 4, 2009

What's in a Name?


As we all know, the Kentucky Derby was this past weekend and Mine That Bird won as a dark horse (no pun intended). So, that made me think, Where do they come up with these names?!?! Here are the names of some of the horses that were in the Kentucky Derby this year: Hold Me Back, Join in the Dance, Flying Private, Dunkirk, Pioneer of the Nile, West Side Bernie, Advice, and General Quarters just to name a few. I want to know why these owners can't just name their horses normal names like Bob or something (well maybe not Bob but you get the point). I mean, what does Mine That Bird even mean? Has Pioneer of the Nile ever been to the Nile? I would like to see Join in the Dance actually dance. Seriously, I thought celebrities got the award for thinking of strange names, but I think race horse owners are a little worse. As I am writing this, I am trying to think of the crazy name I would give my horse if I had one, and i honestly can't think of one. i would probably just call it Without a Name or something like that because that is just as crazy and way cooler than Flying Private.

No comments:

Post a Comment