Thursday, April 2, 2009

Rookie Sensation Not So Sensational

Ok, here's the deal. Joey Logano is an 18 year old rookie in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Joey Logano was the youngest driver ever to start in the Daytona 500 and the youngest driver ever to win a national touring series race. (NASCAR Nationwide Series 2008). This is really good. The thing is, many people (myself included) expected Joey to hit the Sprint Cup Series by storm this year. I am afraid to say, he has not. Joey has been off to a slow start and is having trouble staying in the top 35 in points, which guarantees him a spot in the starting field every week. This has caused many people to say that his driving is a waste of a Sprint Cup ride and that he did not know what he was getting into. I could not agree less with these people. Give him a break. He is only 18 years old! I would like to have seen any of them do what Joey is doing when they were 18 years old. Also, I have never been a fan of excuses for not succeeding, but Joey Logano had huge shoes to fill coming in, and all of the accidents he has been in on the track were just him being in the wrong place at the wrong time. First, Joey is driving the number 20 Home Depot car. Tony Stewart, one of the best in NASCAR today used to be in that car every week. Stewart only left because he wanted to start his own team. With that said, anyone would feel pressure to perform well in that position. It's not everyday a guy who was in high school last year get to drive a legendary car with a legendary crew behind him. That would make a lot of people nervous. And with the accidents, those were just more experienced drivers being stupid and thinking it would be fun to pick on the rookie. I root for Joey Logano every race, along with my other favorites (Carl Edwards, Kasey Kahne, Brian Vickers, Clint Bowyer), and I will admit that I am a little bit disappointed with his performance, because I know he is better. Do I think a few more years at a lower level would help Joey? Yes. But, I do not hold him accountable for this. Many other people would have backed out when faced with a challenge like this. However, Joey Logano accepted that he would be facing some tough things and dealt with it. I think anyone who calls themself a NASCAR fan should have respect for 18 year old Joey Logano for that reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment